Table of Contents
- Bruce Davis (x)
- Ian Gorman (x)
- Ed Hong (x)
- Scott Murphy (x)
- John Nash (x)
- Tug Wiliams (x)
- Time: 19:05
- Call to order: Scott
- Second: John
- Slack Board channel
Review of any outstanding minutes
- Bruce absent for March meeting so will create minutes from the slack channel logs.
- Approval postponed until next meeting
Regular Agenda Items
New to Linux (New Users)
- Scott: We had a few new faces in the crowd, mostly due to invites to meet quorum. There were others though. I don’t think we had much in the way of newbie questions though
OCLUG Customized Bunsen Labs Distro Project Update
- Nothing new since last month.
- Possible to use Antix as a base.
- Could start working on a club bistro or perhaps a bistro kit to allow different flavours. Recommend a beginner one.
- Bruce has volunteered to be a guinea pig for testing.
- Possibly set up a VirtualBox example - discuss later about a work day in May or June.
- Ian cannot log in to Alterna account - locked out ofter three tries
- $112.90 to deposit. - Scott will deposit Wed and get the account unlocked.
- We collected $46.05 as donations as the last meeting.
- Cheques were passed to Ian at the last meeting
- Ian will bring cheques to next meeting to reimburse Scott for expenses.
- Scott has to send information to Ian again re: expenses
- Scott has managed to get the Library booked for all months except November and December, at this point. They don't book that far in advance.
- Suggestion to partner with library and offer beginner classes on Linux. - Possibly an afternoon session for absolute beginners and they are welcome to attend the topic sessions on the Thursday session. ** Install fest twice a year, intro sessions the other months or break it up into multiple groups, depends on experienced participants
- Scott: Ongoing: I still have not managed to get the logo I created to appear on the web page. It is a CSS issue, just need some time to figure it out now.
The list of repeating sessions
Planned Regular Meetings
- Speaker: Scott Murphy
- Possible Topics:
- Librem Key security device
- first impressions (don’t have one yet)
- I could give a short talk on what it is and why it might be a useful thing for people to use.
- I could also talk about the new garage door opener I had installed today. That should be worth a few minutes amusement
- It is an expandable modular system with some IoT things, such as ability to check on the door remotely, get an alert if it opens, have it close after being open for X minutes, etc.
- It also has a security camera module, and other non-internet modules such as a tire inflator, extension cord on a reel, exhaust fan, parking assist, bluetooth speaker
- Openhab as an automation hub.
- Speaker: Ian
- Topic: Demo of Python program
- Topic: snipeitapp.com - Asset tracking?
List of future topics
- that most of the major vendors (including Lenovo) provide native firmware updates via Linux. The only catch is you need a UEFI system.
- New projects for the Board over the coming year: ** Find copy of letters patent possibly from MCR and then from the Government at a cost of approx $120.00. ** Future activity: Changing the amount for quorum.
- Add links in the minutes to Ongoing Board “project” pages.
- Create new word: agile. Definition: the act of one or more people with intimacy issues attempting to hug or cuddle.
- Time: 19:51
- Motion: John
- Seconded: Scott
boardminutesapril-29-2019.txt · Last modified: 2019/06/10 21:40 by bdavis