Table of Contents
- Bruce Davis (x)
- Brett Delmage (x)
- Ian Gorman (x)
- Marc Moleman (x)
- Scott Murphy (x)
- John Nash (x)
- Tug Wiliams (x)
- Time: 19:14
- Call to order: Bruce
- Second: Tug
- Linux-Ottawa (OCLUG) Slack Board Channel https://oclug.slack.com/ and select “board“ in the left column.
Review of any outstanding minutes
- Approval of previous minutes.
- We should be able to get any missing minutes up, as the Slack channel does go back quite a ways
- Motion to accept: Scott
- Second: Tug
Regular Agenda Items
It has been a while since we have had a formal agenda, which is probably not a good thing, Since we have a couple of new board members, I'm going to start doing it again. The format stays the same and we have been adjusting over the past year. I suspect we may as well expect this as normal for the rest of the year if the speed of vaccinations in this province has anything to do with it.
AGM 2021 Commentary
- Unless I missed the count, we had 15 people online for the actual AGM, along the handful of proxies we had, we made the numbers. We do not need to do that again in May.
- We have two new board members:
- Brett Delmage
- Marc Moleman
- I have added them to the slack channel, so I expect them to be on tomorrow. What I did not do was make sure they knew we have the board meetings the last Monday of the month.
Follow up questions regarding the organization
- Some issues with new members and the password for the meeting.
- It was addressed in the archives – https://lists.linux-ottawa.org/linux/2021/04/msg00017.html
- Question about board meeting minutes – https://wiki.linux-ottawa.org/doku.php?id=bdstuff:oclugboardmeetings
- Assigning of Board roles
- Possibility of changing person holding position of secretary
- Search for Charter/Articles of incorporation.
- Letters Patent?
- There are some issues with the Bank account
- Need to arrange for the capability to withdraw funds
- Motion by Scott to Keep the current signing officers:
- Scott Murphy
- John Nash
- Ian Gorman
- Seconded by Brett Delmage
- Vote: unanimous in favour
New to Linux
- This has recently (January 2021) changed to the practice of running through getting somebody on board with Linux. I think it is going well, but I have not had much feedback. Perhaps Bruce and Marc can comment on that?
- We should revisit what we are doing here for the benefit of the new members and to remind ourselves of what we are trying to accomplish.
Linux-Ottawa Distro Project
- Are we still looking into this or have we parked it?
- John: I think it's at a stage where we might be able to move forward. But I probably need some new energy / people.
- Scott: so it is at a tipping point. We should keep it then
- John: We got an antix version going with an Ottawa splash screen, but frankly it's not too newbie friendly (Antix that is)
- It uses a less-common set of tools that are much less friendly than those in Mint or Ubuntu.
- Scott:Maybe we shelve it until we are back to the regular meeting format. Maybe we won't even need it if we document a proper getting started guide.
- Ian: Last I looked, we had slightly ofver $5K and I think no expenditures since net slightly under $5K when we reimburse Scott
- It looks like the mailing system is rejecting emails from some of Google's servers. I can remove the DNSBL check, but I’m not sure I want to do that, as it may end up getting us added if we relay SPAM.
- Scott: so, do I whitelist google? or leave it alone?
- Tug Williams: I can't post. can we whitelist individual addresses?
- Scott: This is an agenda item. I'm fine leaving it as is for now.
- Scott: It is not a Postfix issue. this is SORBS blacklisting some google mailers
- Scott: I don't want to disable the DNS blacklist check.
- Conclusion: Save it for later, possibly an offline discussion
Minutes reading test
- “Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo” is a sentence that uses correct grammar.
The list of repeating sessions
- We should review our repeating sessions list and see if we want to continue them all.
Planned Regular Meetings
Upcoming Regular Meetings
- Speaker: John
- Topic: New2Linux: BASICs for Linux
- Speaker: Scott
- Topic: Remote access
- Speaker: John
- Topic: New2Linux: Wine for oenophiles
- Speaker: Brett
- Topic: Linux mail for Dummies
- Topic: New2Linux:
- Topic: New2Linux:
- File systems
- “10 minute introduction to a topic you didn't know existed” spots
- Man pages
- The firing line - newbie chooses topic, asks old hand to speak for 10 minutes'
- Tools and resources for newbies
- Talk about the different distress
- BSD - possibly invite a speaker
- it may be a long talk, as it is very different fro an install and administer point of view, but operates similarly since it uses most of the same tools and programs.
List of Possible topics
- Time: 21:39
- Motion: Ian Gorman
- Seconded: Brett Delmage
boardminutesapril-2021.txt · Last modified: 2021/05/31 19:19 by bdavis