Table of Contents
- Bruce Davis (x)
- Ian Gorman (x)
- Ed Hong (x)
- Scott Murphy (x)
- John Nash (x)
- Tug Wiliams (x)
- Time: 19:05
- Call to order: Scott
- Second: Bruce
- Slack Board channel
Review of any outstanding minutes
- None from last meeting as there was no quorum.
Regular Agenda Items
New to Linux (New Users)
- No meeting last month
OCLUG Customized Bunsen Labs Distro Project Update
- John has been trying to put a copy of the Distro on a 1 TB drive that goes into a tray.
- There have been issues with timing of the opening of the tray and boot up and the boot repair ISO being only legacy and not EFI.
- It got set up manually by doing GPT partitioning and running boot-repair by getting it dynamically. ALso have not been able to get a persistent live USB that is EFI.
- Suggestion of a meeting or workshop that consists of brainstorming ideas for the bistro
- Items to look into:
- UEFI understanding and troubleshooting
- USB issues:
- performance - USB 2 vs. USB 3
- form factors stick vs. external drive
- USB-NVMe devices
- Balance: $5172.82
- Scott has money to deposit and expenses to collect.
- Ongoing: I have a number of administrative things to take care of for my own hosting and services, so I will just add mailing list migration to that task. It has a better than even chance of getting accomplished then. ** Also add logo to mailing list
The list of repeating sessions
Planned Regular Meetings
We are going to need a few volunteers to discuss the December scripting as both a concept and as a practical skill to have if you are doing anything with a computer that requires any kind of automation. I’ll start off with leading an open discussion on scripting in general and then go to an example script. We could probably use more then one and feel free to use something other than bash. We should open people up to the idea that you can do automation tasks in multiple languages.
- Speaker: Scott
- Topic: Ansible
- Speaker: Various
- Code/script editors
- gentoo builds
- Arch install scripts
- Fortran95 compiler
- Altari 8800 or IMSAI 808 clones
- Zim - wiki
- Speaker: Scott Murphy
- Topic: Ansible for managing your laptop
List of future topics
- recommendation for a talk on UEFI
- USB storage
- Bistro workshop
- We need either a new home or a change of meeting night. As the library has decided to run a youth program on alternating Thursdays, we can’t even keep a Thursday night as our meeting night unless we find a new venue. We need to ask the membership if they prefer a new venue or a new night (or afternoon) for meetings. I can put it up for a vote on doodle Poll: Should we use Doodle https://doodle.com/poll/549gp7kfv6gqri4w
- impromptu poll during the meeting seemed to favour a new night rather than a new venue due to the popularity of the Library and the difficulty of finding an alternative.
- There is still a requirement to poll the membership
- Given the recent discussion on using slack, should we go back to IRC? This was an experiment in using Slack, but we will soon be at the limits of our free plan and start losing history. In that vein, does anyone have irc bot experience? I have never bothered writing one and it would br nice to have a few bot actions available for replying on IRC with next meeting info, etc.
- arguments made both for IRC and for slack, but it should have to go to the membership.
- Primary argument against Slack is a monetary one
- Question posed: Do we have next board meeting in an IRC instead of Slack? - majority agreed to suggestion.
- Time: 20:59
- Motion: Bruce
- Seconded: Ed
boardminutesnovember-25-2019.txt · Last modified: 2020/08/31 18:54 by bdavis