User Tools

Site Tools


boardminutesjanuary2014

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

boardminutesjanuary2014 [2015/06/09 15:23] (current)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +OCLUG board meeting 2014-01-29, 19:30
 +
 +log: /home/rgb/.weechat/logs/irc.oftc.#oclug-board.weechatlog
 +
 +2014-01-29 17:43:32     -->     ASW (~aaron@bas2-kanata16-1178016968.dsl.bell.ca) has joined #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 17:43:37     <--     ASW (~aaron@bas2-kanata16-1178016968.dsl.bell.ca) has left #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 19:27:22     -->     scott5 (~scott5@198-91-167-166.cpe.distributel.net) has joined #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 19:35:18     scott5  Hi Richard, hoping the other two connect soon.
 +2014-01-29 19:35:38     -->     ASW (~aaron@bas2-kanata16-1178016968.dsl.bell.ca) has joined #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 19:35:53     scott5  Hi Aaron
 +2014-01-29 19:36:59     ASW     Just got your email
 +2014-01-29 19:37:31     ASW     Did I miss a confirmation email that we were actually having an IRC meeting tonight?
 +2014-01-29 19:38:25     scott5  no, I didn't send one. I dropped the ball on that one.
 +2014-01-29 19:39:27     scott5  I foolishly thought I'd get a summary on the talks and use that as a reminder :P
 +2014-01-29 19:41:31     scott5  Hopefully RGB and igor connect/wake up shortly
 +2014-01-29 19:42:41     scott5  We did sign the hosting fee cheque for RGB at the January meeting right? I seem to remember signing something like a cheque (or was that in December?)
 +2014-01-29 19:43:50     ASW     I gave him two cheques
 +2014-01-29 19:44:35     scott5  yes... he didn't want the second one IIRC?
 +2014-01-29 19:44:41     ASW     One for 2013 and one for 2014
 +2014-01-29 19:44:47     scott5  but he took it anyway right?
 +2014-01-29 19:45:06     scott5  I'm happy to be on top of this for a change.
 +2014-01-29 19:45:20     ASW     I remember that he would have preferred to have the 2014 one post-dated
 +2014-01-29 19:45:30     scott5  that was it.
 +2014-01-29 19:45:55     ASW     I think it was for tax purposes (2013 vs 2014 tax year)
 +2014-01-29 19:46:18     scott5  that makes sense.
 +2014-01-29 19:49:06     ASW     I just sent an email back to Ian, he was asking how to connect
 +2014-01-29 19:49:13     scott5  Did you happen to have an idea for a presentation as well? Just so we have one in the wings for March? I have an idea for one, but I don't know if I'll have time to get it ready t
 +2014-01-29 19:49:31     scott5  I saw that. I'm hoping he hasn't forgotten what client he used.
 +2014-01-29 19:50:32     scott5  I just sent one as well, mentioning pidgin as the client
 +2014-01-29 19:51:23     ASW     I've got something that I started working on in 2009
 +2014-01-29 19:51:40     scott5  cool.
 +2014-01-29 19:52:09     ASW     trying to tweak the source code for a device driver so it would support an OEM version of the hardware
 +2014-01-29 19:52:24     ASW     Mostly me clumsily poking around
 +2014-01-29 19:52:34     scott5  Hey, that is hacking at its finest
 +2014-01-29 19:53:18     ASW     I got it to compile, but needed to figure out how to write a proper udev rule file for it
 +2014-01-29 19:53:35     scott5  probably make a real good talk.
 +2014-01-29 19:54:03     ASW     What eventually stopped me was no longer having the time at work to finish it
 +2014-01-29 19:54:10     scott5  heh
 +2014-01-29 19:54:58     scott5  Since my job is coming to an end, all of a sudden, I'm busy as anything. It's amazing how much work they decide to get you to do when there is a deadline looming in the near future.
 +2014-01-29 19:56:00     scott5  We only need three people for a quorum right? Just in case we only get one more participant.
 +2014-01-29 19:57:26     ASW     Yes, majority rules
 +2014-01-29 19:58:04     scott5  OK, so all we need is one more to join :)
 +2014-01-29 19:58:32     ASW     RGB's logged in, but I guess he's not actually in front of the computer
 +2014-01-29 19:58:57     scott5  seems that way. The good news is that he can still see what we talked about and do the minutes
 +2014-01-29 20:05:42     ASW     I finally got around to trying to get online access to the records for the bank account. Mike said that he gave the info to Rob, and I sent Rob an email about it a little while ago
 +2014-01-29 20:06:33     scott5  that's funny... I sent an email to Rob earlier as part of my action items from the last meeting.
 +2014-01-29 20:06:52     scott5  If we didn't have action items and meetings, nothing would ever get done
 +2014-01-29 20:07:19     ASW     If its not written down, it doesn't exist :-)
 +2014-01-29 20:19:28     scott5  still trying to get igor online. I sent an email asking him to open a chat session with me, but that doesn't seem to be happening quickly either.
 +2014-01-29 20:20:14     wardi   http://webchat.oftc.net/?channels=#oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 20:20:31     wardi   SunRaycer ^
 +2014-01-29 20:21:02     -->     ASW_ (~oftc-webi@bas2-kanata16-1178016968.dsl.bell.ca) has joined #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 20:21:11     scott5  hmm, didn't know we had that :)
 +2014-01-29 20:21:22     <--     ASW_ (~oftc-webi@bas2-kanata16-1178016968.dsl.bell.ca) has left #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 20:22:07     -->     iegorman (~oftc-webi@206-47-100-51.dsl.ncf.ca) has joined #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 20:22:23     scott5  Hi IanG
 +2014-01-29 20:22:53     scott5  Thanks ward for the web chat info.
 +2014-01-29 20:24:12     scott5  now we need Aaron again
 +2014-01-29 20:24:33     ASW     Still here...
 +2014-01-29 20:25:52     ASW     Stuck my nose in through the web chat for a moment
 +2014-01-29 20:27:01     scott5  did it work well? I was going to try it out
 +2014-01-29 20:27:39     ASW     Didn't do much more than log in
 +2014-01-29 20:28:01     -->     iegorman_ (~oftc-webi@206-47-100-51.dsl.ncf.ca) has joined #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 20:28:02     ASW     closed it when I saw myself logging in a second time in Pidgin
 +2014-01-29 20:28:17     -->     scott5-webtest (~oftc-webi@198-91-167-166.cpe.distributel.net) has joined #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 20:28:23     scott5-webtest  seems to work
 +2014-01-29 20:28:51     scott5  igorman: did you type at the bottom of the screen like in a standard irc window?
 +2014-01-29 20:29:18     <--     scott5-webtest (~oftc-webi@198-91-167-166.cpe.distributel.net) has left #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 20:31:39     <--     iegorman_ (~oftc-webi@206-47-100-51.dsl.ncf.ca) has left #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 20:31:59     ASW     OK, who's actually present right now?
 +2014-01-29 20:32:34     scott5  I am
 +2014-01-29 20:32:43     -->     iegorman_ (~oftc-webi@206-47-100-51.dsl.ncf.ca) has joined #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 20:33:00     iegorman_       iegorman
 +2014-01-29 20:33:06     scott5  hopefully igorman is as well and can type
 +2014-01-29 20:33:11     scott5  yes
 +2014-01-29 20:33:12     iegorman_       is this coming through?
 +2014-01-29 20:33:16     scott5  OK, we have quorum
 +2014-01-29 20:33:37     scott5  so call to order (or as ordered as we get?)
 +2014-01-29 20:33:46     ASW     OK
 +2014-01-29 20:33:58     scott5  Have you looked over the minutes from November?
 +2014-01-29 20:34:10     ASW     was just going through them now
 +2014-01-29 20:34:11     iegorman_       diorderly is better than disorganized
 +2014-01-29 20:34:32     scott5  http://wiki.oclug.on.ca/wiki/BoardMinutesNovember2013 for those who need it
 +2014-01-29 20:35:45     iegorman_       minutes look OK to me
 +2014-01-29 20:35:49     ASW     Yes
 +2014-01-29 20:36:15     scott5  motion to approve the minutes from Nov 2013?
 +2014-01-29 20:36:24     ASW     seconded
 +2014-01-29 20:36:56     scott5  approved
 +2014-01-29 20:37:47     scott5  I had nothing new for tonight, I was only interested in going over the action items to make sure we had some progress.
 +2014-01-29 20:38:09     scott5  So I'll go over the items I had...
 +2014-01-29 20:38:12     ASW     I don't have anything new
 +2014-01-29 20:38:45     scott5  No traction on the UGC site yet, haven't had the time to dig into it and I'm still a python/django newbie
 +2014-01-29 20:40:21     ASW     you could fit my knowledge into a small teacup, without drinking the tea first
 +2014-01-29 20:40:52     scott5  I am not sure if I renewed the UGC domain yet, but if not it will be renewed before the next meeting. A quick check shows that it was updated in December and expires in January 2015, so it looks like I took care of it while I was doing other domains
 +2014-01-29 20:41:32     scott5  I forgot to ask about accessibility at shopify. Did you ask IanG?
 +2014-01-29 20:41:58     ASW     They're relocating in a few months, so it may not be a priority for them
 +2014-01-29 20:42:19     scott5  Where are they moving to?
 +2014-01-29 20:42:29     wardi   their new place is a brand new building, so it should be accessible
 +2014-01-29 20:42:50     iegorman_       We didn't assign accessibility, but I could check - just net to find out where Shopify is going
 +2014-01-29 20:43:46     iegorman_       Ground level access (no kerbs) and elevators will do it
 +2014-01-29 20:44:08     scott5  both of our names were on it in the minutes, that was why I asked. Seems to be a moot point, like the next item that I had
 +2014-01-29 20:44:52     scott5  I was supposed to talk to Cody, but he resigned as per the email sent earlier. He sent it to the board mailing list Nov 30.
 +2014-01-29 20:45:16     scott5  That leaves a few empty slots and we have an AGM/election coming up
 +2014-01-29 20:45:21     ASW     Just did some Google searches, looks like Shopify's moving to 150 Elgin ST.
 +2014-01-29 20:46:07     scott5  Interesting... is that where Fridays used to be?
 +2014-01-29 20:46:12     ASW     Looks like it
 +2014-01-29 20:47:07     ASW     I've forgotten where I read it, but I think the new place will have a larger meeting area
 +2014-01-29 20:47:13     scott5  Parking may be an issue, hopefully there is a reasonable lot nearby. There was one behind the old building, but I haven't been down that way in a while to look.
 +2014-01-29 20:47:32     scott5  hopefully it will not have the AC over the speakers platform
 +2014-01-29 20:48:57     scott5  I did mention the vacancies on the board at the December meeting, but not really at the January one, as we were just sitting around chatting. I'll mention the AGM/election at the beginning
 +2014-01-29 20:49:10     ASW     There's a parking garage at Bell Canada Place
 +2014-01-29 20:49:18     scott5  are you two going to volunteer to stay on?
 +2014-01-29 20:49:47     ASW     I'll stick on another year if required
 +2014-01-29 20:49:59     iegorman_       I can stay on
 +2014-01-29 20:50:40     scott5  Nice.. I'm planning on sticking around for another stint unless someone else wants the job.
 +2014-01-29 20:51:25     scott5  well, that get us three of five, I suspect RGB will stay on unless that Africa thing happens. I was hoping to get an update on that
 +2014-01-29 20:52:22     ASW     Getting the word out early should help attract some other volunteers
 +2014-01-29 20:52:58     scott5  I had one other item to do, and I just sent an email to Rob today regarding the contacts for UGC. Hopefully he still has all of the info he collected.
 +2014-01-29 20:53:15     ASW     We should also publicize the location on the Wiki where you can put your name down for the election
 +2014-01-29 20:53:45     scott5  It will be in the mailing list, the announcement on the website and on the meet up page, so that should be good fro something.
 +2014-01-29 20:54:00     iegorman_       I may have some contact info for UGC
 +2014-01-29 20:55:16     scott5  it was more of the cleaning/security/other management portions I was hoping to get. We have a list of participants, so that is a good basis for starting out.
 +2014-01-29 20:56:16     iegorman_       security was commissionaires - Rob found them much better than the other alternatives
 +2014-01-29 20:56:33     scott5  looking back at the list, we took care of the cheques to RGB, I did a slide generation talk and IanG did his regex talk
 +2014-01-29 20:57:22     ASW     I'm currently tracking down the log in information for the bank account. According to Mike, Rob's got it now.
 +2014-01-29 20:58:09     scott5  I know IanG has been getting to the monthly meetings by 18:00, as I've been managing to get there for then as well.
 +2014-01-29 20:59:08     scott5  I need to send ASW the receipt for the UGC domain. I think there was another one I had registered as well, linux-ottawa I think to something like that I need to look back through me emails
 +2014-01-29 21:00:08     scott5  The meet up account had to be renewed. RGB took care of it I believe. I have to log in and see if it was both or just L3GO
 +2014-01-29 21:00:28     ASW     I've been paying for linux-ottawa.org
 +2014-01-29 21:01:07     scott5  then there must be another one I registered. I'll check and sent it to you
 +2014-01-29 21:01:18     scott5  it completely slips my mind what it was called
 +2014-01-29 21:02:26     iegorman_       I think you could have three meetups off one account - maybe finding one will find the other two
 +2014-01-29 21:04:23     scott5  we have linux-ottawa.ca
 +2014-01-29 21:04:45     scott5  I just found the email.
 +2014-01-29 21:05:14     scott5  I'll make sure it redirects to OCLUG
 +2014-01-29 21:06:07     ASW     linux-ottawa.org doesn't go anywhere at the moment
 +2014-01-29 21:06:48     scott5  we should redirect that as well
 +2014-01-29 21:07:35     scott5  we have speakers for next week, so that is good. I still don't have descriptions, so I'll make it up :D
 +2014-01-29 21:08:26     scott5  since we can't ask RGB anything, those are outstanding status updates.
 +2014-01-29 21:08:47     scott5  we had two carry over items from the past...
 +2014-01-29 21:08:56     scott5  hosting fee which has been taken care of
 +2014-01-29 21:10:11     scott5  and the original panic books, which I think I said we'd maintain as an electronic document and make sure we all had copies. I haven't really gotten to it yet, but that is on my todo list to get completed before the AGM
 +2014-01-29 21:11:24      *      SunRaycer remembers the meeting, now that the kids are in bed...
 +2014-01-29 21:12:06     scott5  I think I can document most of the system, with the web services being the outstanding part. Hopefully I can get up to speed on the web portion (via UGC first) and document the OCLUG bits.
 +2014-01-29 21:12:14     scott5  LOL
 +2014-01-29 21:12:21     scott5  welcome aboard!
 +2014-01-29 21:12:27     scott5  at least you have the full history
 +2014-01-29 21:12:44     iegorman_       Scott, would I be able to help on the documentation?
 +2014-01-29 21:12:57     scott5  of course you can
 +2014-01-29 21:13:08     wardi   scott5: happy to help with the django site
 +2014-01-29 21:13:29     scott5  excellent. I'm willing to accept all help I can get.
 +2014-01-29 21:13:40     wardi   scott5: was planning to move it all to git, because I've almost completely forgotten how to use svn
 +2014-01-29 21:14:08     scott5  that is fine by me. I want to get up to speed with git anyway. I have yet to use it beyond cloning something to compile
 +2014-01-29 21:14:44     iegorman_       I like git, let's git going!
 +2014-01-29 21:14:44     wardi   I did already convert the history and put a version up on https://github.com/wardi/django-user-group
 +2014-01-29 21:15:04     wardi   but that's probably a few minor commits behind
 +2014-01-29 21:15:30     scott5  wonderful
 +2014-01-29 21:15:49     SunRaycer       I have a statement from alternabank that came to mcr's address (as expected) but still addressed to mike
 +2014-01-29 21:16:44     ASW     If MCR's got a stack of those kicking around I'll take them off his hands
 +2014-01-29 21:18:39     SunRaycer       Friday's closed?
 +2014-01-29 21:19:24     scott5  I think the only items left to ask about are the government compliance form and the possible speakers. How are we doing there?
 +2014-01-29 21:19:29     ASW     I think they re-opened somewhere else, but the old building across from the court house is an office tower now
 +2014-01-29 21:19:48     scott5  At least a year ago I think
 +2014-01-29 21:20:23     SunRaycer       I have no overseas posting update other than carole's management experience is likely to land her a management job overseas, likely kenya, if it happens at all (which appears more likely because of that.)
 +2014-01-29 21:20:26     iegorman_       Google Street View still shows the old building
 +2014-01-29 21:21:17     ASW     http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Rising+Ottawa+office+vacancies+pressure+rents+report/9360226/story.html
 +2014-01-29 21:22:07     scott5  that was a convoluted statement.. If I read it correctly, it looks likely?
 +2014-01-29 21:22:21     ASW     That's Bell Canada Place in the background of the photograph.
 +2014-01-29 21:23:32     SunRaycer       git rocks
 +2014-01-29 21:24:11     iegorman_       Looks like the new Shopify will be accessible
 +2014-01-29 21:24:18     SunRaycer       mcr has been handing me oclug stuff when we meet once or twice a week at credil.
 +2014-01-29 21:25:08     SunRaycer       i admit I've done nothing about the govt forms, but they're certainly on my mind.
 +2014-01-29 21:25:48     SunRaycer       and I've heard through another non-profit that the non-profit rules are changing, so that may be a bit of work.
 +2014-01-29 21:26:07     SunRaycer       enough so that some have opted to liquidize...
 +2014-01-29 21:26:25     scott5  great.. more useless paperwork
 +2014-01-29 21:27:22     scott5  well, i guess not useless to the government
 +2014-01-29 21:27:58     scott5  however, we need to find out how that is going to affect us. Might be a topic for the AGM.
 +2014-01-29 21:31:11     scott5  i think that pretty much covers the list. Do we have anything else?
 +2014-01-29 21:31:28     ASW     Nothing here
 +2014-01-29 21:36:36     SunRaycer       I'll talk more to the EVCO folks and find out what's involved.  it may be so serious as to consider officially dissolving and donating account balance to a suitable org.
 +2014-01-29 21:38:08     scott5  We don't exactly have a lot of expenses, so that wouldn't really hurt us.
 +2014-01-29 21:38:43     scott5  I guess we will find out what it means soon enough
 +2014-01-29 21:40:07     SunRaycer       bank statement (I just openned) says balance is $5792.49
 +2014-01-29 21:42:00     ASW     $6193.08 - $400 = $5793.08
 +2014-01-29 21:42:37     ASW     There's probably a service fee in there somewhere
 +2014-01-29 21:42:51     scott5  yes, very little in the way of expenses :)
 +2014-01-29 21:44:53     ASW     Any other business?
 +2014-01-29 21:45:17     scott5  We have a few items to take care of, but it looks like we are  keeping up with the list. Want to set the date for the next meeting?
 +2014-01-29 21:46:01     scott5  Feb 26 looks like the correct day to me
 +2014-01-29 21:46:53     ASW     Looks good to me
 +2014-01-29 21:47:16     scott5  in person or via  IRC?
 +2014-01-29 21:47:28     iegorman_       Wed Feb 26 19:30?
 +2014-01-29 21:47:45     scott5  yes, 2014/02/26 - 19:30
 +2014-01-29 21:47:46     iegorman_       either way OK with me
 +2014-01-29 21:48:45     SunRaycer       date is fine with me.  welcome here if we want.
 +2014-01-29 21:49:23     scott5  OK, assuming good weather, in person, bad weather (stormy that is) via IRC
 +2014-01-29 21:52:06     scott5  motion to close?
 +2014-01-29 21:52:26     ASW     seconded
 +2014-01-29 21:52:31     iegorman_       OK
 +2014-01-29 21:52:42     scott5  closed. See you all next Wednesday at Shopify
 +2014-01-29 21:52:53     iegorman_       OK
 +2014-01-29 21:52:54     SunRaycer       wed?  not thurs?
 +2014-01-29 21:52:55     scott5  remember, not Thursday next month
 +2014-01-29 21:52:58     SunRaycer       ok
 +2014-01-29 21:53:02     scott5  conflice
 +2014-01-29 21:53:08     scott5  er conflict
 +2014-01-29 21:53:27     scott5  shopify offered the space to some entertainment group for something.
 +2014-01-29 21:53:52     scott5  I put the changed date on the website last month
 +2014-01-29 21:54:26     scott5  Do you have a short description of your GPG talk or should I just wing it?
 +2014-01-29 21:55:08     <--     ASW (~aaron@bas2-kanata16-1178016968.dsl.bell.ca) has left #oclug-board
 +2014-01-29 22:09:19     SunRaycer       scott5: I have slides already somewhat written out, updated from 12 years ago...
 +2014-01-29 22:28:45     <--     iegorman (~oftc-webi@206-47-100-51.dsl.ncf.ca) has left #oclug-board
 +
 +
  
boardminutesjanuary2014.txt ยท Last modified: 2015/06/09 15:23 (external edit)